You Can’t Fix StupidOctober 27, 2007
The following is from The Palm Beach Post:
Dolphins LB Channing Crowder, who appears likely to start in the middle Sunday against the Giants with Zach Thomas ailing, says he didn’t know until Tuesday that people in London speak English.
“I couldn’t find London on a map if they didn’t have the names of the countries,” he said. “I swear to God. I don’t know what nothing is. I know Italy looks like a boot. I know London Fletcher. We did a football camp together. So I know him. That’s the closest thing I know to London. He’s black, so I’m sure he’s not from London. I’m sure that’s a coincidental name.”
Oh sweet merciful Jeebus, where do I start with this one? This NFL player is the product of one of our nation’s finest educational institutions (the University of Florida – thank you Google), and he can’t locate London – never mind the United Kingdom – on a map?! What kind of education did he receive? Did he graduate summa cum dumbass?
He doesn’t know that people in London speak English, either. The hell? What did he think they spoke, Flemish? English and England both start with the same four letters. I would think that would be enough of a giveaway.
I also love the fact that he’s sure that London Fletcher isn’t from London because he’s black (like the UK doesn’t have black people or something). For those of you that care, London Fletcher is from Cleveland. Which is in Ohio. You know, that state that you drive through between Pennsylvania and Indiana. I’m sure that Mr. Crowder’s mind would totally be blown if he were to find out that not only is there a London, England; but there’s also a London, Ontario, Canada.
Its statements in the media like this that aggravate the heck out of me. This guy just reinforces the stereotype of the ugly, ignorant American. Its also aggravating knowing that because this dunderhead was a great football player, its highly likely he received a free ride in college, while some other deserving student who could locate the UK on a map was turned away from UF.
The Sabres won last night! They played three decent periods of hockey and pulled out a victory. Couple of things from last night:
- During the review of Staffy’s goal in the third period (to see if Paille hit it with a high stick), Staffy threatened to stomp Paille if Paille did indeed touch the puck. According to Staffy post-game, he’s been down about his lack of goals lately.
- The Mair / Paille / Staffy line played like beasts last night. They consistently were moving their legs and keeping the puck moving. Not bad for the alleged fourth line.
- I also was impressed by the play of Mike Webber. The 19-year old played a smart game (ok, his penalty was maybe not so smart) and played over 10 minutes. Sure those aren’t Soupy or Hank-esque numbers, but not bad for a kid who’s goal going into the game was “don’t screw up.”
- During the closed door meeting after Wednesday’s game, the only two players to speak were Miller and Hank. I would have been more surprised if Miller didn’t speak, but the fact that Hank spoke up (and the shock expressed by the broadcast team about him speaking up) speaks volumes. I would not be surprised to see the C on Hank’s sweater at some point this year.
- I was surprised by the number of Buffalo fans in attendance in Florida. While it wasn’t an HSBC level of noise, it was pretty loud in support of the Sabres.
- One woman they showed in a crowd shot had on a bedazzled Panthers jersey. As if the new sweaters aren’t horrible enough, she had to go and crap it up further by bedazzling it.