Sabres vs. Wings – 1.10.09January 10, 2009
- To recap, last night’s game against the Rangers contained an incredible performance by Miller, and a pretty decent performance from everyone else.
- Tonight’s game gets off to a good start for the Sabres with a quick goal by Roy. The Roy/Vanek/Stafford line has been pretty consistent lately, though I would like to see Staffy pick it up a bit more. I feel the snot nosed punk action is missing a little bit from Staffy’s game.
- Miller makes a quick save on a high Detroit shot, but it appears to strike him in the neck/mask area, as he is briefly dazed. I wonder if he does get “hurt” tonight, would his mommy would come down and kiss it and make it better? Sabres Edge reported that Miller has quite the contingent in the stands tonight. If Miller hadn’t signed an extension in the off-season, I would say that this would be a sign of the “Miller-to-Detroit” rumors gaining strength. Heh.
- According to John Vogl at Sabres Edge, there’s quite a few vocal Buffalo fans in the house tonight. I thought I heard a “Lets Go Buffalo” popping up at the beginning of the game, but just chalked it up to a figment of my imagination.
- I’m kind of bummed I wasn’t able to make tonight’s Buffalo BloggerCon at Casa di Pizza tonight. Stupid bug of mine. I raise my Gatorade to y’all instead.
- So the big hockey news of the day is the Devils signing Brendan Shanahan. Guess the Devils haven’t met the league mandated old fogey quotient for the year. The Sabres have Teppo, so we’re well covered.
- Have I mentioned how much I hate the Fallsview casino commercial where the fat dude is giving himself a tattoo? If I haven’t I REALLY HATE THAT COMMERCIAL. It rankles.
- Dear Yahoo Fantasy: Please put Ales Hemsky on the bleeping IR already. The Little Honkers will thank you later.
- Toni Lydman’s daughters are absolutely adorable.
- Sweet merciful heavens, Timmy went down to block a pass, preventing Detroit from getting a shot on a two-on-one.
- Even though Miller wasn’t anywhere near the blue ice in making the save on the play, it’s nice to see Rivet take quite the exception to Holmstron residing in Miller’s crease. Why don’t more of the Sabres defensemen and forwards take similar offense?
- In his leadout to commercial, RJ mentions that Ryan Miller “sparkles.” Please don’t tell me this means Crunchy is a vampire. I don’t think I could handle that.
- These past couple of games, Miller has done everything but stand on his head and burp the alphabet. This is the Ryan Miller that needs to show up every night, not just every other game on alternate Fridays.
- At least the first Detroit goal benefited The Little Honkers. :\
- I call shenanigans on the goaltender interference penalty called on Stafford. He was totally helped into Conklin by Rafalski.
- Looking at the photos from WGR’s Whiny Awards / Lindy Ruff roast, I’m really struck by the differences between Peters and Goose. Gaustad looks like you could bounce a quarter off his abs, while Peters looks all soft and cushy like. And speaking of the Lindy Roast, I can really live without ever hearing Harry Neale use the word “semen,” especially as it relates to Lindy Ruff. I’m off to go scour my brain with some brain bleach and ponder what that last sentence will do to my blog search stats.
- Toni Lydman, even though your daughters are adorable, you’re fired for the turnover that lead to Detroit’s second goal. I do not blame Miller one bit for that goal. You could tell he wanted that one back…badly.
- Miller’s going to be one worn out puppy if his teammates keep allowing him to face 40+ shots a night. At some point, the boy will need to cut a bitch and remind them that just because he is the last line of defense, he isn’t the ONLY line of defense. There’s five other guys on the ice that can help him out.
- And on the 46th shot (by my count), Detroit goes up 3-1, this time after Hossa outworks THREE Sabres to get the puck and take advantage of Miller. Sweet Staffy’s ghost, that effort from the three of them was pathetic. It’s like they didn’t even care that they were down by one and still theoretically had a chance at winning the game.
- I’m beginning to think that the Mike Robitaille dentist commercial is going to be this season’s Soupy/Center for Excessive Sweating commercial. It’s a repeating commercial and Roby has that same level of sincere insincerity that Soupy brought to the plight of those suffering from hyperhydrosis.
- Can someone please tell me why Lindy broke up the line of Gaustad, Pommers and Ellis? The three of them worked well together on the physical side, and also seemed to have a grasp of this thing called “offense.” They weren’t broke, so why were they fixed?
- Also, can someone please tell me what the heck Spacek was saying in his postgame interview with Kevin Sylvester? I have no idea outside of “Miller. Good.”
- Now the Sabres are off until Wednesday, when they face old pal Soupy in Chicago. Remember friends, this game (and the Dallas game on Thursday) start at 8:30 Buffalo Time.