Game Night – Sabres v. HurricanesJanuary 17, 2009
- Ryan Miller has updated his bloggy. The highlights are that he just finished reading Night by Elie Wiesel, he doesn’t like the new Ryan Adams album, and professional athletes work hard at manipulating the stereotype of dumb jocks so that they can surprise people when the need to be smart arises. (But has any Sabres fan ever thought that Miller was a dumb jock? I think his intelligence and thoughtfulness is pretty well recognized amongst Sabres fans.)
Anyways, Night really is a great book and I remember being really moved by it when I read it my freshman year in high school. Not only was the topic affecting, but since my grammar school wasn’t the best quality in the literature department, it was really jarring to go from reading Johnny Tremain in 8th grade (twice…don’t ask), to reading “real” books like Night in high school.
(And in case anyone is wondering, I’m currently reading A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon. It’s the last book in her Outlander series and it’s a dense read. Fun, but dense.)
- The Buffalo News is reporting that Sekera is out for “weeks” with an ankle injury. While this still means that Paetsch is the low man on the defensive totem pole, it does mean that Chris Butler gets to hang around up here for a little while longer. He’s been playing well with both Teppo and Rivet. I really think spending time with the older guys is helping him out.
- Also found in today’s news is a nice story about Rip Simonick’s 3,000 game career with the Sabres. When he retires, he could make a killing if he ever wrote a book about his time with the team. Then again, I’m sure the players see him as more like a priest in the confessional: what’s shared in the locker/equipment room stays in the locker/equipment room.
- Fallsview Casino atones for the horror that is the tattoo commercial by creating a new commercial that features a goalie coming out for the announcement of the first star only to have horseshoes fall out of the rear of his goalie equipment. The commercial is made all the more awesome by the use of the Leafs arena announcer as the commercials “arena” announcer.
- I saw today that Tops has been named the official supermarket of the Buffalo Sabres. I find that extremely funny, since it seems like half of Buffalo has seen numerous Sabres shopping at Wegmans.
- With 17:30 left to go in the first period, Blime Warner is giving me an HD picture, but not HD sound. Instead of RJ’s dulcet tones, I’m getting some sort of instrumental Allman Brothers esque music to accompany the game. This is the last HD game for the next who knows how long. I’m getting jipped.
- Oh, sweet jeebus. Miller moves out of his crease to play the puck and collides with Williams in the middle of the zone. That had the potential to not end well.
- There’s a new commercial for the Sabres Green Team debuting tonight. Goose reminds us all to keep our tires inflated and get excess crap out of our trunks in order to increase our fuel mileage.
- WOOOOOOO! Lydman lets a wrister loose from the point and Timmy deflects it past Cam Ward. 1-0 Sabres.
- My check of the HD channel shows me that the sound is back on, but the sound isn’t synched up with the video feed. I heard Teppo’s goal go in before the video showed it make it past Ward. So the score is now 2-0 Sabres, and I head back to the SD channel.
- Teppo takes a puck off his head during a play in the Carolina zone. He gets up under his own power and skates off the ice, but is wincing pretty regularly.
- Walker heads into the Buffalo zone past Butler. Miller is down, misses the poke check and Walker bounces it off the post. He had a 100% wide open net with Miller down and he doinks it off the post. I think I love the left goal post right about now.
- I just heard a “fuck this” come over the air from the on-ice mikes. No word on who it came from.
- Still no sound sync on the HD channel between the play and the broadcast booth. When Roby and Sylvester were talking during the intermission, it was like watching a movie with bad dubbing. The words were that out of sync with the lip movements.
- And Teppo is back on the ice after taking the puck to the head. Glad to see he’s back.
- Rivet misses a breakaway after coming out of the penalty box. Harry Neale cracks that Rivet just lost his opportunity to be included in future shootout rotations.
- Timmy capitalizes on a Carolina turnover to make it 3-0 Sabres. For those of you playing along with the home team, that would make Rod the Bod a -29 for the year. And how cute was Lalime rubbing Timmy’s head after Timmy was seated back on the bench?
- I guess Kevin Sylvester doesn’t read Puck Daddy, ESPN or TSN, as he reminds us during the intermission that Wade Dublewicz has been retained by the Islanders due to their goaltending difficulties. Had he checked teh internets before going on the air tonight, he would have seen that Dubie was picked up off waivers by Columbus.
- The period starts on a bad note as Ray Whitney tips a puck past Miller. 3-1 Sabres.
- The Sabres play just good enough hockey to hang on for the win, allowing Carolina to get 19 shots off in the third period. A lot of that good play can be credited to Miller, who was really on his game tonight.