Happy Birthday to Me, IndeedOctober 24, 2009
- I really didn’t think it was too much to ask for the Sabres to win on my birthday, but dear god, they did it the hard way. Scoring at the end of the second period to tie it up, scoring waaaay late in the third to tie it up again, and then six shooters deep in the shootout to win it for me. The boys are now welcome to share my leftover birthday cake. I hope they like Wegmans Ultimate White Cake. (Until Staffy tied it, I wasn’t going to be willing to share the cake with the boys. They hadn’t deserved it.)
- Tyler Myers?! Tyler Myers?! That was an absolutely brilliant move by Lindy and the coaching staff to put him in the shootout. At the sixth shooter for the Sabres, what has he really got to lose? The fact that he put the puck in the net and won the game was just icing on the cake and effing amazing. It was that kind of surprising – and ballsy – move not seen since Lindy put Henrik Tallinder in to face Martin Brodeur. I mean, how often have fans seen some combination of Roy/Vanek/Pommers/Staffy take shootouts and fail? As the most offensively geared players on the team, they should be aces at the shootout, but sometimes they ain’t. Moving Myers in shakes things up. I know it would never happen, but how ridiculous would a shootout lineup of Gaustad, Kaleta and Grier be? None are known for their strong goal scoring prowess (sorry Goose) and Goose isn’t exactly Speedy Gonzalez when he has to head up ice.
Getting back on point, surprise moves in the shootout work.
- The postgame celebration with the team hug turned dogpile was absolutely adorable. How funny is it that Myers and Gaustad, the two tallest guys on the team, were the ones that ended up on the bottom of the dogpile? I also liked seeing Miller speed down the ice to join in on the fun, and try mightily to get near Myers. Lindy said in his postgame interview that the room was flying high after that.
- I don’t think I’ve ever seen Staffy so smiley after a game. He was saying that the team agreed to start missing their shots in the shootout after they saw Mysie’s move in practice. They wanted to see if he could pull it off.
Side note: Mysie as a nickname for the gentle giant? Really? Mysie and Mairsy and Millsy, oh my. The team really needs to come up with something different and unique. Unique is good!
- After tonight, does anyone think Myers is going to be boarding a plane back to juniors? I think not.
- Finally, were my ears deceiving me or were the Vancouver fans chanting “Leafs Suck” at various points in their game tonight?