Sabres vs. Sharks – How Not to Turn Into ChumFebruary 13, 2010
- We’re being treated to a ceremony honoring the Sabres Olympians. The little kids interacting with the players were so adorable. I know that they had to give Lindy a jersey to keep the flow of the ceremony going, but how funny would it have been if they would have given him a tie to commemorate his role as a coach during these games?
Now smile for the birdie…
- Mother of pearl, why didn’t Lalime play tonight for the Sabres? Give Miller a night off before he’s got to go cross country and play nearly every other day for two weeks.
- Deadspin has screencaps of the look of total panic on the Great One’s face as the Fortress of Solitude cauldron was delayed in opening. I think I saw those same panicked looks on his face while he was coach of the Coyotes, only then he was wearing a sweater vest instead of a tracksuit. (Disclaimer: while this story is SFW, you never know what ads and headlines may pop up above and around the story. It is Deadspin after all.)
- Vanek has been noticeable tonight. He had one opportunity where he shot straight at the net and another one where he tried to be fancy dancy and it went nowhere.
- It was nice that the Sabres Sled Hockey players had their USA sweaters presented to them tonight as well, but why were they shunted off to the press room at the arena? They should have been recognized on the ice as well. Sure, they’re not “name” players like Miller and Co., but they do deserve to be recognized for their accomplishments all the same.
- And we have a new participant in the “Let’s Fine Tyler Myers Every Time I Get Asked About Him” game. It’s the Goose! According to this article on Fanhouse, Goose gets $20 every time he answers a Myers question. I was going to say that they need to take it easy on him, but then I checked and Myers is making $1.3 mil this year. At this rate, he may end up forking up enough cash to buy the team dinner…or several rounds of drinks.
This was probably my favorite Q&A from the interview:
Which teammate of yours would you like to be for one day?
I like my teammates a lot, but I’m happy being myself.
In other words, I know too much about these guys to even consider trading places with them, even if it is for a day.
- Rivet has a puck go off his stick inches in front of Miller with Heatley and Thornton within striking distance. Miller bails out his captain by falling on the puck.
- WHOO! Goose scores off a nifty pass from Hank! Goose didn’t really have to shoot that puck, it was more of a two-foot tap-in for birdie. 1-0, Sabres.
- Did anyone else notice that Hank jumped into Goose’s arms when the goal went in?
- The good thing about having a fantasy team comprised entirely of Western Conference players? You can still log in at 8pm and set your lineup. Not that this was the first time today I thought about the team or anything.
- Vanek FINALLY scores tonight. That’s his 18th goal of the season and is a backhand shot on a rush off the right wing. 2-0, Sabres.
- It sure sounded to me like RJ just suggested that Roy might want to take a dive and go down while wrapping around the San Jose net on a penalty kill. Not that young Roy-Z has a reputation as a diver or anything.
- Pommers gets credit for a pretty wacky goal that actually goes in off Wallin in the Sharks crease. 3-0, Sabres.
- Who the eff are these Sabres and where have they been the past two weeks? Fans were this close to putting them on milk cartons and/or sending the lot of them out of town for a roll of half used tape and a printer cartridge. I know the Sharks are a dangerous team and I shouldn’t be counting my chickens before they’ve hatched, but I can’t help but feel optimistic.
- What happened to Stafford on Twitter? Has social media been banned by the team? Did the furries steal his phone?
- All hell breaks loose behind Nabokov as Lil Timmy gets roughed up by Mitchell for daring to breathe the same air as Nabokov. Mair rushes in to defend Kennedy and the rest of the Sharks and Sabres on the ice jump in to the fun as well. What made it funny was that while two of the refs were working to separate Kennedy and Mitchell, the other ref was standing there yelling that all the other players need to move to away from the action and to the other side of the ice. Yeah, like that’s going to happen.
- San Jose scores on an odd man rush as Huskins shot goes in under Miller’s arm on the short side. 3-1, Sharks.
- It’s been a long time since I’ve heard Sweet Caroline played at the arena.
- The U-S-A! U-S-A! chant coming from the fans while the play goes on in the San Jose zone is something else. What a nice encouragement for Miller.
- At least they didn’t go 0-for-February!
- Hey, at least the Sabres aren’t in 5th anymore. 3rd place has a much better ring to it.
- If I may wade into the shallow end of the pool for a moment, Miller appears to have gotten a very flattering pre-Olympic haircut. It works for him.
- With the next game not until March 2nd, it might be quiet around here, unless all hell breaks loose at the Olympics or one of our little darlings does something stupid over break and it makes the news. K-Syl was reading my mind and snarked that if something happens, we’ll find out about it on YouTube. (That’s not a hint or a request, boys.)
- Rayzor reports that the players are off until a week from Wednesday (which is the 24th), where they will then start practicing without Lindy and any players that are still in Vancouver. I think this is the first confirmation we’ve had from anyone about what the official Olympic break timeline is.