I Suppose I Should Write Something…June 3, 2009
– I really expected more from the Penguins in Games 1 & 2. With how quickly they dispatched the Hurricanes, I thought that they would be able to handle the Detroit juggernaut. Yeah, I was wrong. There were breakdowns all over the ice and Fleury had more than a couple shiny object moments leading to Detroit goals.
I did like Geno being all spunky and taking on Zetterberg at the end of Game 2. Where the heck did Geno get the spunk from (that’s what she said)? He looked so adorkable pulling away from Zetterberg clutching both of their jerseys in his hand. It was almost a “what…how did these get here?” expression on his face. Then again, that might have just been Geno’s usual expression.
I did have to laugh at the non-call on the too many men on the ice penalty during last night’s game. I thought Doc and Edzo were going to have synchronized aneurysms over the fact that the Red Wings and the refs never noticed that there were six Penguins (and Fleury) on the ice for 25-30 seconds.
If the Penguins that showed up for last night’s game show up for the remainder of the Finals, we just may have an interesting series ahead of us.
When I compare Pittsburgh’s parties outside Mellon Arena to the Sabres Parties in the Plaza, I think the Sabres win by a landslide. The Sabres pack them in and really celebrate. While there was a considerable crowd outside Mellon, it looked nothing like what was outside the HSBC.
– Finally, Patrick Lalime shows himself to the world and proves that he’s not dead, he’s just resting. Turns out that he was having a sports hernia repaired followed by an arthroscopic repair of his hip. Poor little French Canadian button. Based on Lalime’s age, you do have to wonder if Darcy is considering whether to buyout Lalime’s contract and go after a free agent goalie or will he keep Lalime around and have Enroth as the safety valve?
– Speaking of Enroth, he was taken in the KHL Entry draft. While it’s unlikey that he would leave Portland to go play in Russia, you have to wonder what promises are being made to him behind the scenes to keep him in the Sabres organization. If Lalime hangs around another year, is Enroth being told that in two years he’ll be brought up to Buffalo to back up Miller? Which then begs the question: would he settle for being a backup goalie for four years, since that would be the length of Miller’s current deal? And what’s to say that the Sabres wouldn’t re-sign Miller for a year after that? Eh, this is why I am not in hockey management.
– Continuing on the goalie discussion, there’s some fascinating rumors coming out of Philly. Puck Daddy cites that Ray Emery could be the answer to the Flyers goalie problems, while CNNSi had a rumor that the Flyers were interested in making a deal for Roberto Luongo. And that doesn’t even take into account the fact that the Flyers need a backup goalie, as both Marty and Nittymaki are UFA’s this year.
– Meanwhile, Danica Patrick is doing some pretty nice backtracking on her comments to Dan Patrick (no relation) that she would take PEDs if they would help her win the Indy 500 and she wouldn’t get caught. Princess, I’m not sure what PEDs would do for you in the racecar, but you have to be pretty bleeping stupid if you think that a comment like that wouldn’t draw attention in perhaps one of the most read magazines in the world. While her league hasn’t made any formal statements on the situation, I have to wonder whether Princess Permapout is going to be coming under more scrutiny in the world of “random” pee tests.
– I’m getting a very nice giggle out of the fact that my search terms this week included: “Daniel Paille injured at Sears Portrait studio.” All I have to say is that whoever was assigned to babysit young Paille was not doing their job very well if this is true. Heh.