Sabres v. Panthers 10.21.09October 21, 2009
– Plenty of good seats appear to be available in Florida tonight.
– Mike Grier whiffs one past Scott Clemmensen to make the score 1-0, Sabres.
– On a power play, Pommers increases the population of Pominville to 2, making the score 2-0, Sabres.
– Immediately after the Pominville goal, Clemmer is pulled for Vokoun, much to the delight of the crowd. I’m thinking the crowd has a decidedly pro-Buffalo flair to it tonight.
– Matt Ellis flips a rebound past several bodies in front of the net to make it 3-0, Sabres.That’s right, the Sabres have three goals on their side and there’s only five minutes gone from the game.
– Is Florida really this bad?
– The Sabres successfully kill off a 5-on-3 with four icing sweeps during the length of the kill.
– Tyler Myers makes it a 4-0 lead for the Sabres as he rips a shot off Vokoun’s glove.
– Again, is Florida really this bad?
– A shot by Reinprecht gets past Miller, but the Crunchster dives back and wrangles it back under control before it can cross the goal line. (I’m picturing an internal monologue of “ohshitohshitohshit” as the puck heads towards the goal line.)
– Reinprecht scores as the Sabres make a blind pass in the defensive zone. 4-1, Sabres.
– RJ gives a shotout to a Sabres fan who has served two tours of duty in Iraq and is currently stationed in Afghanistan. I’d like to second the shoutout. I don’t know this gentleman, but three tours of duty in some pretty nasty areas is something to be admired for.
– There’s a video review as Staffy’s backhand leads to a kerfluffle in front of the net and a debate as to whether the puck actually enters the net off of a Buffalo player’s skate. When all is said and done (and after the Florida organist played a rousing rendition of Hava Negila) the goal counts, and it’s 5-1, Sabres.
– Miller makes about 5-6 consecutive saves, as the Buffalo skaters try to set an #epicfail record in clearing the puck away from the goaltender.
– Derek Roy needs a lesson in “how to read a cue card without making it look like you are obviously reading a cue card” if those Cellino & Barnes ads are any indication.
– And my word, has this game gotten boring.
– Miller gets caught out of the net and Roy-Z makes a diving save to knock the puck away from the wide open net. Nice job, Roy-Z!
– Per Harry Neale, Miller is currently #2 in the league in GAA, and #3 in the league in save percentage. That’s not a bad deal for Miller, as he’s proving he can be the guy. (There’s a line from The West Wing about how some people want to be the guy, and some people want to be the guy the guy counts on. Love that line and it kind of fits here. Miller’s the guy, and his teammates have to be the guys the guy counts on.)
– I never fail to smile when I see the EA Sports commercials with “The Hockey Song.” How can you not love that song?
– Grier is shown stretching with his leg up on the dasherboard while the rest of his body is squatting. If I tried to get into a similar position, you’d probably have to call emergency services on my behalf. I am so not flexible.
– It’s the 11-minute mark in the third period and Miller has been remarkably busy this period. The dominance the Sabres had earlier seems to have evaporated somewhat.
– If (when) the boys win tonight, they get tomorrow off. Harry Neale wonders if this is bribery by the coaching staff (Answer: YES!) Here’s hoping that the guys don’t get too badly sunburned or hurt themselves while watching the scenery at the beach.
– Florida puts the puck in the net, and Miller starts having a litter of kittens in the crease, claiming that Horton hand passed the puck to Reinprecht. The goal is waved off and it’s still 5-1, Sabres.
– RJ takes a moment to express his amazement that Ryan Miller could still follow the hand pass follies of 2009 and worry about stopping the puck. I’m amazed as well. Ryan definitely doesn’t exhibit shiny object syndrome (“ooh, shiny!) in this situation.
– And this just got ugly, as Horton just went after Kaleta with his stick after they both exited the penalty box. I do kind of love Kaleta’s shit-eating grin as the whole thing erupts.
– I’d love to know what Clarke MacArthur said to the ref that got him a 10-minute misconduct. Please let it be at a Mike Ryan “10 minutes for fucking around” level of good.
– Florida puts one past Miller on the ensuing power play, and the goal horn is enough to wake my mother out of her dozing slumber. 5-2, Sabres.
And that’s all she wrote.