Sabres vs. Islanders – 11.4.09November 4, 2009
– The Sabres have recalled Jhonas Enroth from Portland as Patrick Lalime is battling a groin injury.
– Ralph Lauren is starting to reveal the US Olympic Team attire for the Vancouver games. What’s pictured in the below screen capture from my e-mail is the closing ceremony attire. Please try and imagine a certain goalie in said apparel.
The sweater looks like something my high school English teacher lived in.
– Marty Biron is back in town, and he reveals that he and his wife are expecting a little girl. There’s a joke about getting slipping one past the goalie here. I just can’t find it.
– Today is the 40th anniversary of Sesame Street. All together now…
Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet
Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?
– Whee! Bradley Whitford is going to be back on my television again. I f’love Bradley Whitford. Even with that unfortunate dye job he had in Billy Madison.
-It’s still early in the game, but so far it’s miles better than Saturday night’s fiasco. There’s an energy about the guys that wasn’t there on Saturday. Saturday felt like they were just doing a piss poor imitation of going through the motions.
– Gaustad apparently is feeling much better, as he’s back to his regular role as a dancing bear in front of the opponent’s net.
– Roy-Z finally scores…in the hockey arena that is. Roy fires a shot from the top of the faceoff circle while Vanek is playing dancing bear in front of Marty. In the celebration, the Sabres played Chelsea Dagger. Is every team going to be ripping off the Blackhawks now? 1-0, Sabres.
– Kaleta is the victim of a very nice hip check so he “retaliates” by shoving the Islanders defenseman into Marty who then comes out of his crease after Kaleta and tries to love him, hug him and call him George. When all is said and done, the Islanders are on the power play. Kaleta and Stafford are sitting in the penalty box, the latter looking very bumfuzzled as to why he is there. I wonder if he is the Sabres designated penalty bitch?
– The Islanders again send the Sabres to the power play, as Sim was a very bad boy and held, hooked or grabbed a Sabre. That vague description of the penalty was brought to you by our astute color commentator Harry Neale.
– Who peed in Marty Biron’s cornflakes tonight? He’s been a feisty little devil, going after Kaleta and then Rivet. Not sure what caused him to go after Rivet, as the camera was focused on MacArthur slowly getting up after he was clobbered from behind and into the goal post.
– The Sabres spent a heck of a long time on the power play. I almost became one of those people yelling “Shoot” while the Sabres put on a passing clinic during the power play.
– Random Sesame Street video to end the period with…
– Both teams appear to be exceptionally chatty tonight as there’s a lot of chatter coming from the ice. Most of it isn’t fit for mixed company.
– So I think I left my iPod playing at my desk when I left for the day. I pray that it doesn’t shuffle to “Put It in My Mouth” or anything else controversial while the cleaning guy is in the area.
– The Sabres get a giggle out of me for playing the Miami Vice theme song during a stoppage in play. Miami Vice was such a good, cheesy show. They generally don’t make shows like that any more.
– Sekera gets out of the penalty box and tries to jam the puck past Marty on a mini-breakaway. Marty stops him cold. Meanwhile, Tyler Myers limps over to the bench after taking a shot off the foot in the Islanders end of the rink. It must have just been a stinger, as Myers is back out for his next shift.
– Oh eff me. I just read that Sandra Lee is looking forward to bringing great garnishes to the Governor’s mansion in 2010 once her sweet baboo wins election. As if NY isn’t in enough of a mess as it is, we now have to worry about her Semi-Ho’ing her way through Albany.
– Vanek feeds an absolutely gorgeous pass to a wide open Stafford, who then sadly misses the wide open net.
– Can we please stop with the live action Cellino & Barnes pop-up ads already?
– As Harry Neale is rattling off Enroth’s stats from Portland, the camera pans to the young Swede sitting on the bench. Maybe I’m just used to the jolly Lalime or the cranky Miller sitting on the bench, but Enroth looks like an overgrown five year old in full goalie gear.
– Witt is sent to the penalty box for hitting Grier from behind, sending Grier face first into the glass. Grier takes quite a long time to get up, collect his gear that went flying and make it to the bench. Even so, he doesn’t look like all his eggs are unbroken in the basket, if you know what I mean.Vanek manages to score on this power play, as he pokes the puck past Marty, who’s diving in the opposite direction.2-0, Sabres.
– That may be Vanek’s fifth goal of the year, but why does it seem like it’s his first? It feels like its been awhile since he last lit the lamp.
– Marty heads all the way out to the face off circle to stop the puck and gets badly, badly caught out of the net. The Sabres aren’t able to put the puck into the empty net. Though they sure did try hard.
Random Sesame Street YouTube to end the second period…
– Roy is 8-0 on face offs tonight. I’d like to see that kind of consistency from him throughout the remainder of the season. It would be nice to have a second face off guru besides Gaustad (and his young padawan, Kennedy).
– Vanek gets a breakaway on Marty, but he gets slashed from behind and isn’t able to complete a solid shot, as he only has one hand on the stick. He does at least get an Academy Award nomination for trying to sell the slash to the refs (they didn’t think much of it).
– You can tell how exciting this third period is by how much I have to say about it. The Sabres have had several good chances, but Marty appears to have found his game again.
– A play is under review as the puck is in the net thanks to Gaustad’s stubbornness well before the whistle blows. The ref is taking his sweet time on the phone, which makes me wonder if he’s talking to the home office or ordering a pizza for after the game. It’s ruled a goal after the ridiculously long review, so HONHONKHONK for the Goose. 3-0, Sabres.
– Have I mentioned how much I love the Goooooooooooooooose chant after he scores a goal or whomps on someone?
– Who developed the schedule this year? The Sabres have already played 3 of their 4 games against the Islanders and by the end of the month they will have played 3 of 4 against the Flyers. Also, who is the genius that decided that the game on the day after Thanksgiving should be played at 1pm in the afternoon?
– The final 15 seconds feature Kaleta being a pest and half the Islanders on the ice chasing him around.
– RJ and Harry are getting slightly loopy and referring to the runway portion of the Catwalk for Charity as “walking the plank.” RJ informs us all that he would like to be referred to as a buccaneer and not a pirate or a privateer.
– The game is over, so I can say it now….SHUTOUT! I love when Miller gets a shutout. It’s such a confidence booster.
– Random YouTube for the end of the game…