Sabres vs. Capitals – 12.23.09December 23, 2009
– Just shy of a minute and a half into the game, Backstrom rips a shot past Miller. Please don’t let this be one of those nights. 1-0, Caps.
– If you’ve been a longtime reader of this blog, you’ve picked up on my affinity for reality TV. Last night, I was watching 18 Kids and Counting on TLC. The family visited a Predators game in Nashville, got to enjoy the game from a suite, play some on-ice intermission activities, and ride the Zamboni. (I’m jealous on that last one.) I do have to scold TLC for a misleading pop-up during the show. The pop-up said that the 18 kids constitute an entire NHL roster. Not quite. They seem to be forgetting the two goalies and 2-3 press box residents currently on most NHL rosters.
– Green rips a shot from just inside the blue line that deflects off Roy-Z’s shaft (that’s what she said) and over Miller’s shoulder into the net. 2-0, Caps.
– Nerd alert: when I hear the last name of the Caps’ Erskine, I’m reminded of former White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles.
– Tonight’s game features the #1 and #2 face off guys in the league in Gaustad and Steckel. Bucky’s column from today’s paper shares some further insights into Gaustad’s face off development, and how he’s helping Kennedy come along on draws.
– Why are there cowbells (I think they’re cowbells) at a Caps game?
– Why is there a gentleman dressed like an Apollo astronaut in the stands? I see dressing in costume has become a thing now at hockey games. What’s wrong with just putting on a sweater and attending dressed as a normal human being?
– After one period, Gaustad and Ellis are a combined 11/12 on face offs. Now if their teammates could just take advantage of those wins…
– If you didn’t see the game tonight, I urge you to check Sabres.com for the Drew Stafford Festivus video. You will not be disappointed. Kadooz to Stafford for keeping a straight face throughout the whole thing and to his teammates for having such impeccable coming timing. About the only way it could have been improved was if the airing of grievances was towards his teammates instead of his sticks. And on a shallow note, Staffy could definitely exhibit at the gun show. Who knew he was so ripped?
– I think Lindy is going to hurt himself tonight with how hard he is frowning.
– Stafford gets in all alone on the goalie and gets called for goaltender interference after accidentally bumping into the Washington goalie. Upon further review, the goalie appears to have initiated the contact, but Stafford gets called for the penalty. I’d like to air a grievance about that.
– WHOOO! Goose steps up to the “fuckthisshit” plate and puts the puck in the Washington net, glove side. After his goal, he was all “yeah boys, let’s do this,” at least if my lip reading is up to snuff. 2-1, Caps.
– No whoo. Morrison makes a nifty between the legs shot up and over a down Miller to make it 3-1, Caps. I can appreciate the prettiness of the goal even if it does put my darlings further in the hole.
– WHOOO! Montador rips a shot from the point and Timmy tips it past the goaltender. 3-2, Caps.
– RJ and Harry are in fine form tonight, as RJ is lambasting Harry and the rest of the crew for not getting him any Christmas presents. I guess the Caps radio guy gave him a Hersheys Kiss filled candy cane, and that’s what started the whole rant. Harry replied that his excuse was that his present contained liquids that aren’t allowed in the pressbox.
– That period was significantly better than the pile of puke that was the first period. Can they improve in the third?
– Roy gets a nice point blank shot in on the Washington goalie, but he’s denied a goal.
– Finally, one of the Sabres steps up when a Cap or five gets in too close on Miller. Rivet exchanged some holiday greetings with one or two of the Caps before the refs stepped in.
– Gaustad gets called for tripping while Rivet is still in the box. Yay, a 5-on-3 for almost a minute. This will probably not end well for the Sabres. And I called it. Backstrom scores from close range to make it 4-2, Caps.
– Oh joy, oh bliss. Ovie8/Gr8/Grape Ape scores to make it 5-2, Caps. This is a FANTASTIC game. I still cannot believe that Ovie has a license plate with the tag Gr8. That’s like borderline douche-y and attention whore-y.
– I want to thank the Sabres for the lump of coal they gave their fans for Christmas tonight. I hope the Ottawa game on Friday is better. Like, seriously better. Or there will be some serious grievance airing on Friday.