Sabres vs. Sens – Please Let Them WinApril 10, 2010
– I’m knitting during tonight’s game, so there’s a lot of multitasking going on, especially as the blanket I am knitting is getting to the rather unwieldy in size stage.
– Puck drop is delayed as the Sens are honoring Alfredsson for playing in his 1,000th career game. The delay might actually end up being a good thing, as this MSG feed is very herky jerky, with constant stops and starts and stutters. If you can upgrade my cable guide, you can deliver me a good quality hockey feed. While this Alfie ceremony is long, his kids are completely adorable and the one is hilariously mugging for the camera.
– It’s officially springtime in Buffalo: Mr. Softee trucks are on the streets and Marineland ads are on display. (I dare you to not have the Marineland jingle stuck in your head after seeing the TV commercial.)
– I know statistics are right up there with lies and damned lies, but the Sens have won 9 in a row against the Sabres. If this was Vegas, I’d be betting on the Sabres, because at some point, the odds turn against the dominant team. Look what happened last month with the Sabres and the Leafs: the Sabres had a pretty lengthy winning streak against the Leafs and it was snapped just like that.
– Dear MSG: once you’ve fixed my feed, can you make a note for future games that showing the national anthems is a great idea? HNiC does it. Most local teams do it. Why don’t you? And have I mentioned lately that I love when the crowd sings along to “Oh Canada?”
– A quick poll on Twitter shows that the MSG feed is jittery for all, and not just those of us with TWC.
– The feed also decides to inappropriately cut out as Sutton decides to smush the hell out of Stafford, who spends a good few minutes on the ice and eventually gingerly heads off the ice. The end result is that both teams are shorthanded as Torres and Sutton are both sent to the box.
– Vanek makes it 1-0, Sabres as he taps the puck into a wide open net, as Leclaire was badly out of position.
– I really think there’s going to be bloodshed tonight, as Neil goes after Roy and Ruutu tackles a yet to-be-determined Sabre after a Leclaire save. How can you attack Roy? It’s like going after a little yappy chihuahua that’s writing checks it thinks its body can cash.
– WHOO! Vanek scores off of a gorgeous Roy pass as Vanek had wandered in all alone to the net. 2-0, Sabres.
– We’re told that Stafford won’t be returning tonight as he has an upper body injury. That might just be the “no sh*t, sherlock” injury description of the year. We all saw him get knocked into next Tuesday.
– This playoff flashback or whatever they’re calling it showing Pommers hat trick from 2006 subtly points out that Pommers isn’t one of the kids any more. He looked so young then!
– Neil makes it 2-1, Sabres as he slips the puck through the half inch of space between Miller’s leg and the goalpost. Have I mentioned how much I hate Chris Neil?
– Vanek makes it 3-1, Sabres on a penalty shot after he gets chopped down on a breakaway. The chop to the ankles looks like it’s causing Vanek quite a bit of pain. Since Vanek now has a set of triplets (Manny, Moe & Jack), when is the first play date scheduled with Pominville’s triplets (Huey, Dewey & Louie)?
– So the triplets have now become quadruplets as Vanek knocks the puck out of mid-air past Leclaire. 4-1, Sabres.
– Looking at the new Patrick Roy “History will be made” ad, its still shocking to see how tiny the goalie gear was even in the mid-80s. Do we think that Miller or Lalime would willingly get on the ice against today’s hard shots with such pithy gear? And I know we all mock Miller’s quirks, but at least he doesn’t talk to goalposts or hop, skip and jump over blue lines.*
* that we know of
– WHOOO! Roy breaks the Vanek stranglehold on the scoring and makes it 5-1, Sabres.
– Donovan decides to try and make things interesting, as he makes it 5-2, Sabres. Too little, too late, my friend.
– WHEEE! The Sabres finally beat Ottawa and do it with minimal bloodshed. (Well, Staffy technically wasn’t bleeding, but you know what I mean.) This was a critical win for the Sabres. They managed to get Ottawa out of their heads and do it while kicking some ass. (Did someone watch before the game the scene in The Cutting Edge where Kate announces she’s in the mood to kick a little ass? Because really, the Sabres were totally in ass kicking mode tonight. Or did Lindy somehow manage to invent a Wayback Machine and get the 2005-06 Sabres that beat Ottawa to come and pep talk these guys?)
– Sweet merciful hockey playing baby Jesus, what the eff is Don Cherry wearing tonight? It’s like an Ikea duvet cover committed suicide and the remains became a suit coat.
– So tomorrow could be a fun day of hockey. Sabres/Devils settles positions 2 and 3 in the conference while Rangers / Flyers determines who gets to sit at home and stew for the remainder of the summer.