News & NotesJune 22, 2010
– Is Miller the chaperone for the NHL draft picks attending the Twilight Eclipse premiere? Is his attendance required because he has a Hollywood starlet girlfriend? Is he secretly a member of Team Jacob? Is he going to be required to explain the plot of the movie to his teammates at some point? I have no idea, but there has to be a good reason for him attending this movie. I know when I think of sparkly vampires pining for their true, pure love, the first thing that pops into my mind is Ryan Miller.
– And speaking of red carpets, what kind of bull is it that the red carpet pre-show for the NHL awards is only going to be broadcast on nhl.com? I have a perfectly cromulent TV set with NHL Network that is perfect for watching pretty men on the red carpet. Why should I have to hunch over my laptop’s 17″ screen and deal with a buffering feed? Boo, NHL. Boo to you on this one.
– The prevalence of back-to-back games on the Sabres schedule for next season illustrates the Sabres need for a perfectly cromulent backup goalie to give Miller a night off here or there. The Sabres need to find a goalie that Lindy will have faith in to play a number of games, and not just sit on the bench wearing a touque, opening and closing the bench door. I’d like to see Marty back here. He’s a good goalie, and a decent guy. There would be a minimal breaking-in period between Marty & Ryan, and Marty already knows enough of Lindy and The System to be dangerous. (On an unrelated note, Lindy and The System would be a great name for a band.)
– However, the goalie situation in the league just got a lot more interesting with the news that the Sharks are not tendering an offer to Nabokov. The goalie pool is deep this year, and watching where the various free agents land is going to be interesting.
– Sabretooth appears to have fallen off the face of the Twitter earth. He wasn’t fired like the Pittsburgh pierogi, right?
– Late edit to add that Goose was the celebrity chair of the Camp Good Days Gala this past Saturday night. Video of him being adorable with the kiddos is at the link.