– I love that the Caps goalie tonight is named Simeon. That’s not a name you see very often. It’s such a strong, biblical name. Love it.
– I cannot believe Timmy missed a wide open net within the first two minutes of the game. The shot went behind the goalie, through the crease and out the other side. But that missed opportunity sums up the season in a nutshell, doesn’t it.
– I love that Gaustad tested out his injured elbow by jumping into the arena glass. That sounds like an activity that usually involved the phrase “hey guys, watch this” and never ends well.
– C-Mac gets sent to the box for hooking. On the ensuing power play, Gaustad gets smushed by Ovie, only to continue on with the puck, like Ovie was a pestering gnat, easily brushed off. But Ovie gets his retribution when he pops a goal past a diving Miller to make the score 1-0, Washington.
– Buffalo heads to the power play as Max gets tripped up on a dipsy doodle. And said power play looks like a hot mess as the Sabres have difficulty keeping the puck in the Washington zone. And just as I’m writing that sentence, Staffy and/or Max tip the puck past the Washington goalie, shortly after the PP expires.(Correction, the goal has been credited to Goose, even though my blind eyes say he never really touched the puck. Double correction, the goal has been recredited to Stafford.)
– C-Mac tries to send a cross ice pass to Connolly, and Kozlov ends up tipping the puck into his own net. A goal’s a goal, so it’s now 2-1, Buffalo.
– One of my search terms yesterday was “hockey players are whores t-shirt.” I hate to break it to the poor dear that searched for a shirt like that, but I don’t know where to find one. And even if I did, I wouldn’t wear one.
– After the Sabres second goal,the camera pans to a kid in the stands wearing a Sabretooth hat. My mother is completely enamored of this hat and wonders why something like that didn’t exist when I was a kid.
– I may be completely hallucinating, but I swear the Caps PA system is playing the theme to the Great Escape. If I’m not hallucinating, that’s completely awesome.
– What in the bluedilly you-know-what happened to cause Washington to have a 5-on-3? Complete stupidity by Spacek combined with an already called penalty on Roy, that’s what.
– Harry Neale starts waxing poetic about his and RJ’s tour of the White House. I kind of want to know if any of the players came along for the tour, or if it was just RJ and Harry? Touring the White House is definitely on my to-do list, as is a trip to the Smithsonian, Arlington and the Holocaust Museum.
– Another penalty to Buffalo while they’re on the five-on-three? Are you kidding me? The Sabres penalty box is getting kind of crowded, that’s for sure. It sounds like there’s quite the Buffalo fanbase in the crowd tonight, based on how loud the crowd was when Buffalo cleared the puck out of the zone. And Roy’s penalty expires with Semin putting the puck past Miller to make the score 2-2. However, before the puck went into the net, Miller was putting on quite the goaltending clinic. He had some spectactular saves.
– Sweet Crunchy on a cracker, Fedorov rips a shot from just inside the blue line past Miller to make it 3-2, Caps.
-Dear Sabres, please to not be taking anymore penalties. The penalty kill is not how you win hockey games.
– If I had a dollar for every shot the Sabres missed wide this season, I would be a very rich woman. Alright, maybe not rich, but I’d have enough for a payment on my college loans. Chez Griff isn’t cheap, you know.
– So Butler’s in the box for elbowing and the Sabres get called for ANOTHER penalty, this time for delay of game.What was it that Lindy said the other night about taking too many penalties? It throws off the flow of the game, as the penalty killers are forced to take a disproportionate amount of ice time, and the non-penalty killers are forced to sit on their duffs and wait.
– I’m wishing I had some vodka to put in my cranberry juice right about now. I can only imagine what Lindy’s thinking. These guys, however unintentionally, are stinking up the joint.
– This game diary is momentarily interrupted by a phone call from my grandfather telling me that my younger cousin has gotten engaged. The proposal happened over dinner. When my cousin brought out the cheesecake for dessert, he handed his girlfriend a knife that he had engraved with “will you marry me?” When she turned around to look at him, he was standing there with the ring in his hands. (Altogether now…awww.) So…Congratulations Andy and Caila!
– WHOO! Roy-Z ties the game at three with a nifty between the legs deflection.
– Son of a pup, Washington just scored to make it 4-3. Fedorov just lets the shot go past about five Caps and Sabres just standing there, and Miller never even saw it.
– I’ve decided that the Vitamin Water sweaters are what make the Roy, Cellino and Barnes commercials art.
– These “March to the Playoffs” spots are making me sad. Nothing like reliving past glories while watching the present go down the drail. Remind me again why I care so much?
– Bullshit, bullshit. Max is helped into the Washington goaltender by Morrison, which negates a Sabre goal. I call bullshit.
– Again, a missed shot by the Sabres as the goalie isout of position. This time, for something different, Sekera does it on a wraparound.
– While I do enjoy Ryan Seacrest’s Twitter feed, I do not enjoy his recent pimping of Heidi Montag songs. Seacrest, I’m begging you to ignore them. If you do so, they will go away.
– Ovie flies into the net, taking out Miller. Miller responds by giving Ovie a good smack and then adjusting himself. I really like seeing Miller all feistied up.
– WHOO! Max ties the game up at 4 with a nifty shot into the wide open net. See guys, when the net is open, the pucks go in!
– Do the Caps fans have cowbells or something? I’m getting a headache from all the honking (not to be confused with HONK!ing) and bell ringing going on in the background.
– Roy-Z, what did I say earlier about staying out of the penalty box? Taking a penalty with 4:28 left in the game is a bit much, sunshine. Especially when the Caps have been so deadly on the power play tonight.
– Laugh of the night:
RJ: “I could have skated faster than Morrison. And he’s 40 years younger.”
Harry: “And a lot trimmer, too.”
– And we’re going to ohhhhhhvertime.
– RJ and Harry are having a discussion about whether the Caps statement that they’ve sold out season tickets and multi-game packs for every home game next year means that there’s no tickets left for John Q. fan to buy. I could read the statement either way, but am leaning more towards the idea that the season ticket and mini-pack quota is filled and walk up seats will still be sold.
– Hecht gets into the Washington zone on a breakaway, misses the shot, gets his own rebound and instead of shooting, tries to pass to Pommers.
– Timmy steals the puck away from Fedorov, passes it to Pominville, who is in all alone. And Pommers rips it five-hole past the Washington goalie. As RJ put it, it was a heck of a time to increase the population of Pominville.
– I loved seeing how jubilant the boys were at the end of the game. This might have been the shot in the arm that they needed after the debacle the other night against Les Thrash. Tomorrow night’s game against the Devils should be exciting for sure. Here’s to hoping the Sabres ride the high from tonight through tomorrow night’s game.